Fall in Lake Placid: Top 5 Things to do in Lake Placid this Fall
Categories: General | Tags: None
The weather is getting a little bit cooler, the air is crisper and the leaves are starting to fall. You know what that means - it’s fall in Lake Placid!
The autumn months are a beautiful time of the year to visit Lake Placid and the Adirondack mountains for many reasons. Festivals, leaf peeping, and farmers markets are just a few examples of what makes this town a great place to visit!
If you’re planning a trip to the Adirondacks, but you’re not quite sure what to do while you’re here, we have some helpful tips for you! Here are our top 6 favorite things to do in the in fall in Lake Placid.
Top 6 Things to do in Lake Placid in the Fall
1. View the Fall Foliage from the Whiteface Gondola
The Gondola ride at Whiteface is one of the best ways to get a birds-eye view of Lake Placid, Lake Champlain, and the beautiful Adirondack Mountains from above. You have never seen a view of fall foliage like this before! The colors of red, orange and yellow fill the skyline in an awe inspiring 360 degree view. To get there, visit Whiteface Lodge. From the base, take a 15-minute ride up to the top and enjoy the breathtaking foliage views.
2. Horseback Riding in Lake Placid
Looking for activities in Lake Placid that the whole family can enjoy? Horseback riding is fun for all ages, and is the perfect afternoon activity on a cool autumn day. If horseback riding in Lake Placid sounds fun to you, check out the Equine Center in Lake Placid. They offer trail rides through Adirondacks’ beautiful woodland forest that is an experience not to be missed. Giddy up!
3. Fall Festivals in Lake Placid
There are several fall festivals in Lake Placid not to be missed. Here are a few upcoming 2017 Fall Festivals in Lake Placid that we recommend:
- Annual Festival of Colors – Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. – Held in beautiful New York, visitors can shop local artists, bakers, produce growers and homemade crafters while enjoying live entertainment. Kids’ activities, fire trucks, pony rides, comedy shows and more, provide fun for the whole family.
- Lake Placid Brewfest – Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017 - Taste some of the best beers around and talk with the brewers who brew them! Sample beers from around the country at the famous 1932 rink of the Lake Placid Olympic Center.
- Whiteface Mountain Oktoberfest - Saturday, Sept. 30 – Oct. 1, 2017 - Held at the beautiful setting of Whiteface Mountain, participants can enjoy breathtaking views of the mountain, sample German beer and authentic German cuisine, dance to lively oompah bands, and enjoy amusement park rides. What better way to take in the scenic backdrop than while enjoying great music, beer and fun!
- Flaming Leaves Festival - Sat. – Sun. Oct 6-7, 2017- All Day: Come out to the Olympic Jumping Complex for the annual two-day celebration of Fall in Lake Placid. Enjoy blues, brews and delicious BBQ while watching the nation’s top ski jumpers soar off the Olympic Jumping Complex's 90-meter ski jump. Bring the whole family–there's plenty for you to enjoy!
4. Get Out on the Water
Even though it’s fall and the air is getting cooler, you can still enjoy some fun on the water! There are two lakes in town – Lake Placid and Mirror Lake. Take a day trip out a boat and enjoy a relaxing picnic while viewing the beautiful foliage surrounding the lake.
5. Visit the Lake Placid Farmers Market
The Lake Placid Farmers Market features a variety of local organic produce, fresh bread, eggs, grass fed beef, cheese, plants, herbs, breads, pastries, handmade jewelry, yarn, fine arts, artwork, and more! The event is held at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts on every Wednesday from 9am-1pm, rain or shine. Stock up on some local goodies or find some great souvenirs to bring home!
6. Enjoy a Scenic Leaf Peeping Drive
Lake Placid is a prime destination for leaf peeping with some of the most impressive fall foliage in the Adirondacks. From late September to the first couple weeks in October, the Adirondack fall foliage is at its peak! Hop in your car and take in the gorgeous views of the colorful skyline bursting with red, orange and yellow! There are so many great scenic drives just a short trip away from Lake Placid.
Favorite Scenic Drives in Lake Placid:
- Route 3 from Saranac Lake to Saranac
- Adirondack Loj Road
- Route 86 between Lake Placid & Wilmington
- Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway
Those are just a few of our favorite fall activities in Lake Placid. What are you favorite things to do?
August 23, 2017 | Share: